Monday, November 3, 2014

A No-Guilt (Vegan) Schmear for Your Bagel

By Hadas Margulies for The Jewish Daily Forward

As a follow-up to my post on gluten-free vegan pumpkin bagels, I thought it was only fitting to share with you a whole new world of cream cheese: the raw, vegan one.

I love raw foods, because no nutrients are lost in their preparation. You get all the good stuff, untarnished by heat. Of course, cooked food has its benefits, too, which is why I go for a healthy mix of both raw and cooked foods.

This schmear is made of protein-packed cashews, healthy-fat-filled coconut oil, an enzyme-rich probiotic and miso, along with alkalizing lemon and sea salt. This is actually cream cheese your body will thank you for!

I first started experimenting with raw and vegan foods about a year ago when I cut out dairy. I never liked the way I’d feel after eating it, but I definitely missed the taste and creamy, comforting texture of my favorite dairy products. I’ve found that cashews are an amazing alternative. Soak your cashews, either overnight in cold water or for one hour in very hot water, rinse and blend very well — and they basically become alfredo sauce.

Continue reading.


For more great Jewish cooking ideas, check out our    page.

No comments:

Post a Comment