Monday, June 29, 2015

How to make the original kosher dill pickle

By Linda Ziedrich for MyJewishLearning.com

Since the publication of the first edition of my book, The Joy of Pickling, several New Yorkers (or former New Yorkers) have asked me why I failed to include any sour cucumber pickles.The first time I heard this question, I was bewildered. All the pickles in my book are sour; pickles are by definition sour. But the New Yorkers were looking at recipe titles for the term sour or full-sour–or maybe New York or kosher–anything to reassure them that the pickles would turn out like the ones from their favorite sidewalk shop in Lower Manhattan. They all urged me to go to one of these shops and taste the pickles and peer into the barrels, and I did.

For all you New Yorkers, here’s a recipe for pickles as close as I can get to the ones you pine for.

Continue reading.

For more great Jewish cooking ideas, check out our    page.


No comments:

Post a Comment