Monday, October 26, 2015

Chocolate Brown Sugar Babka Recipe

By Gabi Moskowitz on The Nosher for MyJewishLearning.com

I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, so it’s rare that I get very excited about a dessert. But chocolate babka, a yeasted, eggy hybrid of brioche and challah, with a thick swirl of cinnamon and dark chocolate in the middle, is an exception. Though its origins are in Eastern Europe, every Jewish deli worth its (kosher) salt has a babka they swear is the best. Well guess what: this babka is in fact the best.

The recipe I’ve adapted it from is by my colleague Tori Avey. When she posted this recipe on her blog last May, I immediately tried it, and found it to be extraordinary. Since then, it’s become my go-to dairy dessert. I’ve tinkered with it a bit, as we food writers are wont to do, and have made a few adjustments and additions that suit my taste. The sweet all-butter egg dough is made with brown sugar instead of white, which yields a rich caramel flavor that goes very nicely with the chocolate-cinnamon mixture, and the streusel top gets a light sprinkling of flaky, crunchy sea salt, which makes the flavor of the rich chocolate pop like crazy. It’s to die for.

Continue reading.

For more great Jewish cooking ideas, check out our    page.


No comments:

Post a Comment