Monday, May 26, 2014

Nutella Babka

By Shannon Sarna for The Nosher

Nutella BabkaI didn’t grow up baking or even eating babka. Coffee cake, definitely. Banana bread was a staple. But babka just wasn’t something around. When I did finally taste babka as a teenager, I was like: where have you been all my life!? Chocolatey, chewy and slightly gooey – it was a perfect Shabbat morning breakfast treat with a cup of tea or coffee.

Recently I’ve been itching to recreate babka at home. I mean, I bake challah every week – why shouldn’t I tackle babka? But, it was harder than I thought. I tried the recipe from Jerusalem. And it was great. But not quite what I was hoping to create.

And then I came across two other recipes: one from Orly Ziv’s Cook in Israel and one from a blog I came across on Instagram: Ba-Li cravings.

My recipe is really a combination of Orly’s genius idea to stuff a babka with nutella, Ba-li’s tried-and-true dough which I have updated only slightly and a technique from Jerusalem that ensures that ooey gooey babka taste and texture we all crave.

This recipe is easily pareve-erized. (Yes, you can make this nondairy.) You can either buy a nondairy hazelnut spread or you can also make your own using a recipe like this one.

It’s perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea of coffee. Or if you’re like my daughter, you will just dig right in.

Continue reading.

For more great Jewish cooking ideas, check out our    page.

No comments:

Post a Comment