Monday, September 8, 2014

Seitan Brisket for The Vegan New Year

A wonderful vegetarian equivalent to the traditional meal dish.


By Leah Koenig on MyJewishLearning.com
Seitan BrisketLike many Ashkenazic Jews, I grew up believing that my mother made the best brisket in the world. Fragrant, savory, and unbelievably tender, it was the stuff of holidays, of memories--of sneaking back to the fridge at midnight, long after the guests had gone home. When I decided to become a vegetarian at age 17, I did so with the acute and sorrowful understanding that I was saying goodbye to one of my favorite dishes.

Brisket was such a sacred food, that I never even considered trying to recreate it for my meat-free lifestyle ... until a friend mentioned that he was trying to "perfect his vegetarian brisket." Intrigued, I began fiddling with my own version, combining the recipe I found in The Passionate Vegetarian with the tastes I recall from childhood. While the resulting dish is by no means an exact replica of my mother's, it definitely holds it own on the Rosh Hashanah table or at a Purim feast.

Continue reading.


For more great Jewish cooking ideas, check out our    page.

No comments:

Post a Comment